Thursday, April 19, 2007

More than Magic


This morning I was thinking about when I was a kid studying to be a magician. Seriously. I had a teacher who had been a famous Las Vegas magician, and to be in his class I had to sign an agreement that I would never perform a trick he had taught me until I had practiced it 1,000 times. That seemed excessive, yet when I got out in front of audiences as large as 500 people, I found I was terrified and overwhelmed. I got through the shows because my hands knew what to do despite the fear, despite the adversity.

As we run across things that encourage us and lift us up, we must take time to run them through our minds over and over until they run deep within. Then, in those times when we would be afraid or overwhelmed, those beautiful things sustain us even when we think we do not have the strength to carry on.

Phillipians 4:8

No comments: